It is my 34th year in the IT industry and I have specialised in enterprise storage and data protection, I have worked in several different roles around the globe that had direct interaction with c-level management, engineering, support and professional services at the vendor level.
I have witnessed many different technologies, some have been an absolute game changer and others make you sit there and ask why!
At SymStor, we have several different business units that encompass storage, data protection, content discovery and professional services. Last year, my CTO on-boarded several stand-out new vendors; they were Rubrik, Cloudian, Nutanix and Komprise.
Let’s take Rubrik this week for a start, some say it’s too good to be true. Actually, it is stunning, finally backup has caught up with what the industry and customers now expect as the standard. It is now hyper-converged and built from the ground up!
Reasons to dismiss Rubrik
- You want to continue to configure master servers, storage nodes, media servers, multiple deduplication target devices and install several agents onto each client just to protect your data consistently.
- You wish to stay with one of the top 5 traditional enterprise backup vendors who are touting their software with its code base that started out over 25 years ago and everything is a bolt-on that now causes compatibility issues and you just love to fix stuff every morning when you walk through the door.
- You love things to be so complex and have zero interest in new technology that you can deploy in the same amount of time it takes you to make a half decent cup of tea in the office. For my US co-workers, let’s say slicing a bagel and spreading the cream cheese!
- You wait in anticipation for the business to ask for a restore, you then spend the day trying to make it work. Come 5pm you email back and say that the restore on that particular day is not available.
- Your management love to have meetings to negotiate annual maintenance contract renewals which always seem to sky rocket as soon as the honeymoon period is over!
- You have been told by your security officers that no data can go into the cloud and everything must be held on-premise and a copy sent to tape as you feel safe holding a reel of tape that you believe you can recover from once Ransom-ware has taken you hostage.
- You want to spend a ton of money every year to test your disaster recovery capabilities offsite as opposed to having it fully automated and an email summary sent to you every morning at 8am.
- You love to see your management in a headlock by the vendor as the upgrade is going to cost in-excess of £100k just in professional services.
- You like watching your virtual estate and applications experience STUN as it keeps you busy trying to figure out what’s going on.
- You think having the ability to restore data, stand-up a virtual machine or even migrate virtual machines to the cloud is….yawn!…..boring!
- You just don’t think simplifying backup is that simple and there must be a catch!
- You think live-mount of SQL databases is a gimmick and no database administrator would want that functionality….Thought provoking right?
For my readers and existing customers, I have not been ingesting vendor cool-aid nor have I been brainwashed by vendor marketing, giveaways or cool video promotions. Not even got a t-shirt off them yet!
We have built a solid business over many years with hands-on experience deploying enterprise data protection platforms and our customers come to us because of our expertise, they rely on us to help them make the right decisions with regards to strategy and technologies. That’s trust for you and is hard earned!
If you would like to learn more about Rubrik, I am more than happy to take these discussions further at a time convenient to yourselves. Thank you for reading.